Since 1 April 2002 building regulations have applied to all replacement glazing. The regulations apply to security,  thermal performance and other areas such as safety, air tightness, means of escape and ventilation.

An external window or door is a “controlled fitting” under the Building Regulations and as a result of this classification these Regulations set out certain standards to be met when such a window or door is replaced.

You could use an installer registered with a competent person scheme (BSI, CERTASS or FENSA). A registered installer will be approved to carry out the work to comply with building regulations without involving local authority building control. When work is complete you will receive a certificate showing the work was done by a registered installer.

Alternatively, you could use an unregistered installer or DIY, in which case approval can be sought from the relevant Building Control Body either at your Local Authority or an Approved Inspector. They will check the replacement window(s) or door(s) for compliance and, if satisfied, issue a certificate of compliance.

Kloeber are not registered with any of the self-certificating schemes as the vast majority of our work is supplying and installing to clients that are building or extending homes. These new buildings require building regulations sign off from the Local Authority, the doors and windows would be signed off as part of this.

Although we are not self-certifying our installers all hold NVQ Level 2 or 3 qualifications and CSCS certificates and are extensively trained in-house.  We are also signed up to the contractors Health and Safety Assessment scheme and the Work safe contractor scheme. We have many other accreditations and certification for health and safety and quality.