Whether you are at the planning stage or in the middle of renovating or building your home, it is likely you have thought about or are thinking about your patio door choice. We know you’re going to want to choose a style and design that will not only match your home but one which will stay ‘in fashion’ for years to come. That’s why we’re here to help by answering the common question…”are external sliding doors out of style?” with this blog!
Are external sliding doors old-fashioned?
The truth is…NO! They may have once been deemed as a patio door style which was not as popular but it is argued that this was only because of the explosion of bifold doors and not because the style of sliding doors were actually out of style. Our bespoke external sliding doors have always been a popular choice with our customers, especially as they have more minimal sightlines than other styles, such as bifold doors, offering more unadulterated views.
Will sliding doors date?
Thanks to technology, external sliding doors continue to evolve over time meaning they never date. For example, a few years ago we released our ÜberSlide range, our slimmest external sliding doors yet, with 20mm, barely there sightlines.
When did external sliding doors become popular?
These wide glass panels sliding along tracks first became popular in the very early 20th century – more than 100 years ago! Some say the style was adapted from the Japanese Shoji, the wood and toughed white paper sliding partitions used to diffuse light. Fast forward to today when external glass sliding doors are used to maximise the natural light in our homes.
Do external sliding doors suit all property types?
One of the reasons why sliding doors are popular is their ability to both match the style of a contemporary home and add a modern touch to a more traditional home. Take a look at some of our customer’s homes with their sliding doors…
An ultra-modern and contemporary home – the perfect match for our KustomSlide Mono aluminium sliding doors.
Our KustomSlide Plus aluminium sliding doors bringing a contemporary touch to a more traditional brick built home.
What material do external glass sliding doors come in?
Sliding doors lend themselves to two of our material options; aluminium and alu-clad. Unfortunately, due to the wide glass panels, timber is not a suitable material option for sliding doors as it cannot support the weight sufficiently. There are also UPVC options on the market, but generally these are not a long-lasting nor very eco-friendly option.
Aluminium sliding doors – this recyclable material is extremely durable and works well in modern properties as well as adding a contemporary touch to more traditional homes.
Alu-clad sliding doors – Although timber alone is not an option, combined with aluminium our alu-clad sliding doors featuring an aluminium exterior and timber interior harness the benefits of both materials.
The benefits of installing sliding doors
Where do we start? There are so many reasons why sliding doors are a good idea for your home, here are just a few of them…
- Unlike other patio doors, they do not require space on the inside or outside of your home for opening
- They create a more light, airy and comfortable living space by maximising the natural light in your home
- You can create a wall of glass for almost uninterrupted views due to their very minimal sightlines, especially with our ÜberSlide doors
- Our sliding doors are made-to-measure ensuring the perfect fit for your home. You can choose from up to six sliding door panels and a frame width of a huge 15,000mm for our KustomSlide style and a panel width of 4,200mm for our ÜberSlide style
- Here at Kloeber you can choose from any RAL colour, making your external sliding doors truly your own. Why not have a different colour on the inside and out with our dual colour option too!
- They’re super secure thanks to our high security locking system
- They’re extremely energy efficient even with their higher glass ratio
- They look stunning! Last but not least, from an aesthetic perspective, external glass sliding doors are a sleek option that will look fantastic in your home for years to come
Still need convincing?
Read more of our external sliding door blog posts including:
- A guide to sliding doors
- A guide to slimline sliding doors
- Sliding door colour options
- Sliding door design ideas
- Are sliding doors energy efficient?
Or if you have any questions regarding the glazing products featured, our team will be more than happy to answer them. You can contact them by calling 01487 740044 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.